Whatsoever is Born of God Overcomes the World
“Whatsoever is Born of God Overcomes the World”
Preached by: Pastor Carolyn Sissom
Sunday, June 8, 2008
1 John 5:4: “ Whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
1 John 4:3: “And every spirit that confesses not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of anti-christ whereof you have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. You are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world; therefore speak they of the world, and the world hears them. We are of God: he that knows God hears us; he that is not of God hears not us, thereby know we the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
Church this is the Stronghold of the spirit over the present political arena that we are now facing. The spirit of anti-christ has made its push to usurp the highest governmental office of the United States of America. We are at war with the rival spirit of Jesus Christ.
11 Peter 3:2: “ I now write unto you; both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance; That you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Savior.”
Every Spirit which does not acknowledge Jesus (as Christ come in the flesh) is not from God. As Christians, we cannot play nice political correctness or come into agreement with the present persecution of Christians. Beliefs and utterances which are disloyal to the person of Jesus as recorded and interpreted in the apostolic testimony are inspired not by the Spirit of Truth, but by the spirit of falsehood. The Lord has always dealt with the nations and rulers of nations of the earth. Daniel was a governmental prophet. There is no separation of church and state in the Holy Bible.
1 John 2:22-23: Who is a liar but he that denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is anti-christ that denies the Father and the Son. Whosoever denies the Son, that same has not the Father: (but) he that acknowledges the Son has the Father also.”
The spirit which will animate the Antichrist is a spirit which the world finds congenial. Right belief as to the person of Jesus is based upon the apostolic testimony, and John holds the high ground of being one of the primary witnesses appointed by God. (Verse 6) “We are of God”. (the apostles). He is not here contrasting the apostles with other Christians, but with the new teachers, (they of verse 5). The apostles received the Spirit to enable them to bear their witness, basic to the very existence of the Church. We, the church of the 21st century have that same enablement of the Holy Ghost.
The Lord will raise up men and women of Faith with power who will stand in the face of this spirit of anti-christ that is coming through the mouth of the false prophets of the television news networks.
There are many false prophets who have gone out into the world. They speak as prophets by inspiration and/or knowledge of the world. But Christians forgot when John wrote this and they still do that we live in a whirlpool of spiritual influences. We must test the utterances, and thereby the spirits which inspire them. Not all that appears to be supernatural is genuinely so—there is deliberate deceit and there are delusions. There must be careful discernment as to the source of inspiration whether of God or of the devil.
1 John 5:6: “This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that bears witness, because the Spirit is truth.”
This is the testimony and the witness. He who passed through the water was Jesus Christ. (quite literally at his baptism). He who passed through the blood was the same Jesus Christ. This is the blood of his crucifixion. The Holy spirit who descended like a dove upon Him makes a third witness. this complete the full number of witnesses which the law required. (Dt. 19:15b) “At the mouth of three witnesses shall the matter be established.”
Their testimony is in agreement: that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. ‘There are three that bear witness”
I don’t like to preach on the anti-christ because I don’t like to give him any glory. However, the Holy Bible has much to say about him. The word says that people perish for lack of knowledge.
- He is called the man of sin because he will be the embodiment of lawlessness and leader of the great apostasy.
- He is called the son of perdition, because of being destined to destruction by his rebellion.
- He is to be revealed. 11 Thess. 2:3: “Let no man deceive you by any means; for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;”
- He will be the opposer of God. 2:4: “Who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sits in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.”
- He has a time to be revealed. (6) “now you know what withholds that he might be revealed in his time.”
- (V. 7) “For the mystery of iniquity does already work: only he who not lets will let, until he be taken out of the way.
- (V.8) Then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming.” This is the “mouth in the midst of them” (Ez. 30:21) and they shall know that I am the Lord. This is the mouth of Rev. 19:15: “And out of his mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations:”
- He will have miraculous powers from satan. (V.9) “Even him whose coming is after the working of satan with all power and signs and lying wonders.”
- He will be a deceiver. (V. 10) And with al deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be caved.
- Only those who are lost will follow him. “With all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
- He will control the wealth of "Cush".
- He will be a man. 13:18:
- He will be out of the sea of unredeemed humanity. (Verse 1)
- He will become ruler of the territory of the 7 kingdoms symbolized by the 7 heads.
I find it interesting and worthy of further study that Joshua as commanded by the Lord to defeat (seven) kingdoms. I was studying Joshua today as I was seeking the Lord for his message.
- Canaanites – love of money and unclean sex spirit
- Hittites – Violence
- Hivites – Human effort
- Perizzites – Lack of vision
- Girgashites – Ignorance
- Amorites – Pride
- Jebusites – Fear
Also, Joshua brought down the walls of Jericho. The King of Jericho represents satan who is the prince and god of this world system. (Jn. 12:31). The King of Jericho is the one who was in authority in Jericho. This is the same spirit of anti-christ in 11 Thess. 2: 1-7 and Rev. 2:13.
As we pray and do warfare against the anti-christ, we would do well to come against the “walls” that are strongholds on the flesh.
- The stronghold of the Imagination of the Carnal Mind. (11 Cor. 10: 3-5) “Every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Every high thing that exalts itself against the Word of God.”
- The Stronghold of a natural family that is proud against the dealings of God (father, mother, husband, wife, parent, child).
- The Stronghold of a spiritual family (denomination) that is stubborn and proud against the dealings of God.
- The Stronghold of a religious system or group that is sectarian in nature: Babylon
- The Stronghold that the Curse of the Law had on creation before the Lord Jesus redeemed us from the bondage (Gal. 3:13) of the curse of the law of Sin, Sickness, Poverty, and Death.
- The Stronghold of the world system (religious, political, economic, social) over which satan is king (prince) and god.
- Anything that has a strong hold on your spirit, mind and body.
I am not saying these seven strongholds are the seven heads of Revelation 13, but we can certainly make the comparison and these spirits will be strongholds in those nations.
- He will become ruler of the 10 kingdoms inside the old Roman Empire territory.
- revive the old Grecian Empire. The beast is like a leopard, which in the Book of Daniel, symbolizes the Grecian Empire.
- He a blasphemer. (17:3)
- Will also have the characteristics of Medo-Persia (the bear)
- Receive his power, throne, and great authority from satan.
- Have all the world wondering after him. (2-4)
- Be an object of worship.
- Be a supernaturally gifted orator. (5-6)
- Be given power and success for 42-months.
- Defy God and claim to be God himself.
- Make war on the Jews and Christians. Multitudes will be killed by him. (v. 7)
- Be given power over all nations inside the 10 kingdoms of the old roman Empire territory (v. 7)
- Have a religious leader in the false prophet of Rev. 13: 11-17
- Permit image worship of himself. (14-17)
- Cause the mark or emblem of his kingdom, or his name or the number of his name to be branded upon the right hand or forehead of his followers. (V. 16-18)
- Conquer many nations.
- Destroy mystical Babylon.
- Kill the two witnesses.
- Change times and laws.
- Understand mysteries.
- Do as he wills for a period.
- Perform miracles.
- Cause craft to prosper.
- Control money and commerce.
- Control religion
- Cause great deception
- Will not have the desire of women, but will be married.
- Control kings.
- Control all lives in his realm
- Make all nations fear him./\
- Mobilize nations to Armageddon.
- Fight Jesus Christ.
Satan not only lays hold upon the whole world; it is wholly within his grasp. The world is still the world that crucified Jesus Christ, and we are decisively with Him in the fellowship of the life of God.
1 John 5:18: “We know that whosoever is born of God sins not; but he that is begotten of God keeps himself, and that wicked one touches him not”
Christians cannot live a life of sin because divine life has been implanted within us by God. God is our Father and Jesus is our savior. His righteousness covers us as his nature is being developed in us. I am not saying that Christians’ never sin. I am saying we cannot live a life of sin.
The indwelling of Christ enables the intellect to be enlightened to believe, the emotions are kindled to love, and the will is turned and strengthened to obey.
Carolyn Sissom, Pastor
Eastgate Ministries, Inc.
Scripture from King James Version; quotes from F.F. Bruce Bible Commentary, Fenis J. Dake, R. W. Orr, Principles of Present Truth. If there are any others I can’t remember. The Lord has had me circling through all kinds of scripture and study today to bring forth this message before I could land it.