Sunday, October 21, 2018, the Year of Our Lord
Pastor Carolyn Sissom
About two weeks ago, the LORD spoke to me, Carolyn preach on money. I have learned when the LORD speaks there is a lot of meaning in just a few words. I pondered this word before the LORD. “Okay, if the LORD tells me to preach on money, then I must have some authority over money.” This is not the first time the LORD has spoken to me about finances over the many years I have been preaching.
“Carolyn preach on money” is simple, straight forward with no room to misinterpret it. Preach is clear: “to be a herald, to officiate as a herald; (2) Always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed; to publish, proclaim openly; something which has been done. (I have told everyone who is trying to figure out who I am, “I am a preacher.”)
A commission to preach a certain message is to do so in the authority of the one who gave the message. That means I have overcome (at least at some level): The love of money which is the root of all evil; which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (1 Ti. 6:10)
MAY 1, 2011: I posted a dream I had. In it the Lord commissioned me to speak and declare prosperity and financial blessing to His people.
As I have studied the scriptures for more understanding, it is clear that throughout the Holy Bible, the Lord has spoken to His prophets to either declare prosperity; or to pronounce judgments that they would not prosper because of their sins, pride, disobedience, forgetting the Lord in the time of prosperity, etc.
By the Lord commissioning this anointing/authority, then my understanding would be that an angel has been released to minister this. So I began searching the scriptures.
Genesis 24:40: ‘And he said unto me, The Lord before whom I walk will send His angel with you, and prosper your way
At that time (2011), I asked the LORD to send His angel of prosperity to minister beside me as I declared the message to those to whom I was sent.
Could it be an angel of authority over “money” has been sent to preach this message?
January 13, 2013: Several times over the years, I have heard from the Lord: “Carolyn I am bringing you into a greater level of my prosperity”.
Now, I certainly did not know what that prosperity was going to look like as I walked into that “greater level”, but I absolutely knew it was going to be a good thing.
At the Tuesday Morning Bible Study in January 2013, I was teaching in the Book of Revelation, I suddenly began to prophesy that the Lord was bringing His remnant into a greater level of prosperity.
Zech. 8:12: “For the seed shall be prosperous (-tsalach); the vine shall give her fruit, and the ground shall give her increase, and the heavens shall give their dew; and I will cause the remnant of this people to possess all these things.”
Each time I heard in my Spirit that I was going into a greater prosperity, I would begin to experience new levels of prosperity in different areas of my life:
- Financial worry or concerns were no longer relevant to my thought process.
- Peace concerning my future and present financial security.
- Peace concerning the support of the church and/or special meetings.
- No indebtedness.
- Seeing my children and church family prosper financially, emotionally and spiritually.
- Walking in a place of wherever there was a financial need, it was met when the need presented itself.
- Good health.
- My clothes and shoes never wear out.
- My hands are always full with blessings for others.
- My bank account is never empty.
- The church’s bank account is never empty.
- Doors of favor continue to open with goodness and good will.
- My enemies are at peace with me. I don’t even know who they are.
- Goodness and mercy follow me wherever I go.
- There is nothing I have need of.
- I am happy and content in who I am in Christ Jesus.
It is not money or the increase in our wealth that makes us evil. It is what we love and lust after that makes us evil.
I can testify I have had to overcome most of the demons which attach themselves to the love of money: To name a few: selfishness, spirit of acquiring, greed, spirit of poverty, covetness, hoarding, stinginess, fear, insecurity, etc. Can you name some more?
The LORD also spoke to me many years ago that if I watched movies that profane the name of God, I would come into financial tribulation. It is a discipline. Especially in these days when television intentionally uses God’s name in vain casually as in “Oh My God.” They are doing it purposely to desensitize us because the same shows used “Oh My Gosh” in years past.
Thankfully I have been a Christian and been in church most of my life; so when I faced financial trials of my faith, I dutifully applied the Word of God and acted on that Word. The seasons I was out of the church was when I had the hardest times overcoming my fears and insecurities. The financial challenges of raising a family, pastor of a church, supporting ministers and ministries, caring for my husband, and my present challenge of caring for my mother have all been supplied through Gift of Faith and Gift of Miracles.
Phil. 4:19: But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
It may be that Gift of Faith and Gift of Wisdom are my authority.
Heb. 11:1: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
The majority of our congregation tithes. Tithing is a measuring stick of our faith in God and our Christian maturity. Having a giving and generous heart is a measuring stick of the love of God and our delight to be an instrument to be used by the LORD for blessing.
Prov. 11:25: The generous soul will be made rich and he who waters will also be watered himself.
Attitude toward giving is the difference in begrudging and generosity.
As I was preparing for this sermon, I read Mark Gorman’s book, God’s Plan for Prosperity. Apostle Gorman was recently a guest speaker at our church. Several in our congregation have read this book. I have received testimonies of their Faith being built up through the reading of the book.
Apostle Gorman has presented God’s Plan for our Prosperity from the Word of God and our obedience to God.
“…most people, who love money, don’t have any. Why? Because God can’t trust them with it. They love it too much. Conversely, there are may people who have money, but don’t love it. They have proven to God that they love Him more than they love money. For that reason, He not only trusts them with money, but He makes sure they have plenty.” (M.G.)
2 Cor. 9: 7-12: Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: “they have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
“2 Cor. 9:10 says that we will be made rich in every way so we can be generous. It does not say we will be made rich so we can become poor, after giving it all away. If you give everything away, you will cease to be rich, and will no longer have the means to be generous.
Paul states that God gives the sower two things: seed to sow and bread for food. Every time God gives you something, it will consist of both of these seed to sow and bread for food. You shouldn’t eat it all, and you shouldn’t sow it all. Eat the bread and sow the seed…
When you plant a peach seed, it will produce a tree, which will then yield fruit. Many peaches will result from the one seed. This harvest not only gives you a generous supply of seeds to sow, but it also produces an abundant return of ‘bread for food.’
God has created a ‘reward system,’ which blesses the person who has a generous heart. He does not intend for us to feel obligated to give away the bounty with which He has rewarded our generosity. Nor does He want us to feel guilty for enjoying the benefits of our harvest.
Genesis 8:22: As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest…will never cease.” This is one of God’s laws which is sealed in the seals of creation. When we co-operate with His laws, they work to our advantage, and in result, we are blessed.” (M.G.)
I often tell our church, in Harvest time, what did you sow. Whatever you have sown will be what you will reap. If you sow, money, time, love, peace, joy, goodness, mercy, faithfulness, then you will reap the same.
“God is a giver. If we are going to be like Him, we must be givers too. If our life emulates God, with a generous, giving heart, God rewards us by bringing greater abundance into our life.”
In Chapter 4, Apostle Gorman outlines four types of Giving in God’s plan for our prosperity:
- Tithe=obedience - the tenth of our income (Lev. 27:30; Mal. 3: 8-12). God’s word teaches us that the first ten percent of everything that comes into our hands is already God’s property, even before we receive it. Tithing is the first step towards receiving God’s abundance in your life. Tithing is not a suggestion. It is commanded by God. The Tithe is to the home church which supplies their spiritual food on a regular basis.
- Firstfruits = obedience - The second type of giving taught in the Bible is firstfruits. Of the four types of giving, only tithe and firstfruits are commanded by God. Duet. 18:4: The firstfruits of your grain and your new wine and your oil, and the first of the fleece of your sheep, you shall give him. The firstfruits is actually the first “taste” of any increase you receive, whether it is a raise, a bonus, or any other additional source of income. Historically the first yield of your crops and the first born of your herds and flocks are all considered “firstfruits” and therefore holy unto the LORD. Prov. 3: 9-10: Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
- Alms= sympathy - The third type of giving taught in the Bible is alms (elee mosune). By definition, this means generosity that is motivated by compassion or sympathy towards the poor. (Acts 3: 2-3). Of the four types of giving taught in the bible, alms is the only one which is not given to God, but to man. Keep in mind, God is not poor and we do not need to feel sorry for Him. Therefore, we do not give alms to God – only to people. The Bible cautions us to maintain a level of secrecy regarding the giving of alms. Mt. 6:1-4 – Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do… Prov. 14:21: It is a sin to despise one’s neighbors; blessed are those who help the poor.
- SEED=faith - The fourth type of giving taught in the Bible is seed. Apostle Gorman shares a time in his life when he was going through a financial crisis. He was tithing. In prayer, the LORD spoke to him. “The tithe is not seed, and seed planting starts at 11% after the tithe.” The Bible speaks of this type of giving as offerings. Of the four types of giving taught in the bible, this is the only one which involves giving money to God. The tithe is the LORD’S ---IT’S ALREADY His property before you give it to Him. The firstfruits belong to Him. Alms is voluntary on our part, but we are not giving it to Him. When we plan financial seed, you are “offering” God something that is ours….Get rid of the welfare mentality which causes people to think that god owes them a financial blessing just because they have a need. God gives seed to the sower. He doesn’t say that He gives seed to the needy, the poor, the widow, the orphan, or even the righteous. He gives seed to the sower.
“Why? Because He doesn’t want the seed to be wasted. He knows that only a sower would use the seed properly. If we want God to put seed into our hand, we must develop the heart of a sower. We become a sower in our heart because we ever sow with our hand.” (M.G.)
“God says He will reward the tither by doing two things: He will open the windows of Heaven to pour out a blessing which is more than you can hold and He will rebuke the devourer for your sake.
For the giving of firstfruits, the reward is that your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
The reward for giving alms is Prov. 19:17: He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, and He will pay back what he has given. (You will be reimbursed.)
Seed gives the greatest return of the four. How many apples do you get from an apple seed? There is no way to calculate that number, because the harvest goes on for year after year.” (End of quotes from, God’s Plan of Prosperity by Mark Gorman – I encourage you to read the book).
When we are faithful to do all that is written, then our Faith is the title deed, or right to take possession of what we have hoped for. God has given us authority to apprehend, call in, declare and proclaim our financial benefits.
Remember the LORD told me to speak and declare prosperity and financial blessing to His people. This is our authority over money. If you are tithing, giving first fruit increases, giving alms and sowing seed, then the authority is yours.
Carolyn Sissom, Pastor
Eastgate Ministries Church
Scripture from K.J.V. (unless otherwise noted.) I entered into the labors of Mark Gorman, The Prosperity of God as noted by parenthesis. Comments and conclusions are my own and not meant to reflect the views of Mark Gorman.
2 Ch. 20:20 - …Believe in the LORD your God, so you shall be established, believe his prophets so you shall prosper.
Deut 8:18: Remember the LORD your God; for it is he that gives you power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sower unto your fathers, as it is this day.
Psa. 112:1-3:Praise you the LORD. Blessed is the man that fears the LORD, that delights greatly in his commandment. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
Ecc 7:12For wisdom is a defense, and money is a defense: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom gives life to them that have